- Microorganisms found in the oral cavity are referred to as the oral microbiome
- More than 700 bacterial species have been identified in the oral cavity.
- Oral flora is the seed for gut flora.
- A healthy oral microbiome can help lead to a healthy gut microbiome.
- About 50% of American adults have periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease is initiated by oral bacterial infections.
- Oral bacterial infections can cause chronic inflammation.
- Chronic inflammation can lead to destruction of gum tissue and bone loss.
PROBIOTICS FOR PERIODONTITIS
- Reduces gingival bleeding and decreases pocket depth.
- Reduces the number of periodontal pathogens.
- Reduces plaque index, gingival index, probing depth, and clinical attachment.